Hello!

I started the same way. I can say that building Okular on the main work system
does not cause problems. If you build and install a broken version of Okular,
you loose your document viewer.

But if you follow the guidelines for kdesrc-build, you can install compiled
versions in a different place (like ~/bin instead of /usr/bin), so you have
both the broken and the original version of Okular, and the original one stays
intact.

I don’t know what happens with Akonadi, since it is some kind of background
service. Ideally you look at each project’s documentation, there should be
some instructions for starting development.