On Sat, 25 May 2024 13:02:41 +0200
christ...@cullmann.io wrote:
> Now that frameworks is QDBus free on Windows and macOS I would even
> propose that in a next update of the stuff we really not have QtDBus
> around at all on these systems and make the use optional for the apps
> that want to support them.
>
> We go to great lengths to avoid that dbus stuff is ever called, even
> deleting the dll and the most freezes you will get if that is not
> done is just dbus related.
>
> It would be great if people could join the effort to get that right.
>
> https://invent.kde.org/packaging/craft-blueprints-kde/-/issues/17

Asking mostly out of curiosity, but do you have a link to a writeup /
thread on the problem, and / or suggested replacements? I noticed
before that you were skeptical of dbus on Windows over at kate, but
since it essentially seemed to work for us in RKWard (for the very
limited use-case of reusing a running instance), I never bothered to
follow suit.

Now I see how you replaced dbus for that use-case in kate, and I guess
that'll be easy enough to copy. But if dbus is something to avoid
(where possible) in the interest of present and future cross-platform
compatibility, some generic guidance might be helpful.

Regards
Thomas