Looking at the repo, I see the `po/` dir which implies it's using GNU
gettext for translation. Fairly standard choice. Strings are marked for
translation by using a `_` macro, like `_("My english text")`.

I don't remember the details, but it basically has something like a
database of such texts and their lines with the according translations.
When it needs to represent a translated string it basically does so by
searching in that db.

Language may be changed by different means. On Linux and Unix systems
it's usually variables such as `LANG`. So e.g. `LANG=en_US.UTF-8
kstars` should launch it with english language.

If you have a way to switch language via interface, I presume it is
handled by some gettext API that overrides whatever's being told by
env. variables.

HTH