On 05/06/13 22:30, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> Actually I still do not understand why RUNPATH is considered so much better
> than RPATH.

More flexibility, I think.  The idea is you can test whether an
application still runs with new versions of libraries just by using
LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to the new ones, or you can move your libraries
around and use LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to the new location (I think
there are restrictions as to what patching you can do of RPATH/RUNPATH -
you don't seem to be able to make the path longer).

I'm not sure how much things like this are actually used in practice,
though.

Alex