leinir requested changes to this revision.
leinir added a comment.

  Sorry about missing that bic issue before...

INLINE COMMENTS

> leinir wrote in installation.cpp:653
> Unless you report the entry as changed, the cache will not be updated and the
> entire reporting side will fall down. Please put that line back :)

In reference to the comment about bic issues above (and specifically how the
function is /supposed/ to be interpreted), this is exactly the point where that
confusion becomes perhaps a little more obvious - i hadn't noticed what you
were doing before, expecting that entry instance to change, but as you can see,
the signal there is important :)

> installation.h:124
>       */
> -    void uninstall(KNSCore::EntryInternal entry);

Hmm... i find myself wondering what effect this has on BIC... something tells
me it might not be so great... Specifically,
https://community.kde.org/Policies/Binary_Compatibility_Issues_With_C%2B%2B#The_Do.27s_and_Don.27ts
 says that you cannot change the signature of existing functions of any type...
However, it feels more like a problem with the documentation - the idea is that
the entries passed into functions aren't changed (and this really should
probably be a const reference, but for some reason it isn't, and again we can't
change that for bic-iness), and so really what /should/ happen is that rather
than saying "The entry instance will be updated" and so on, what it should be
doing is say "If the entry is successfully uninstalled, listening to
signalEntryChanged(const KNSCore::EntryInternal &) for an entry equal to the
one you have passed in will allow you to detect the result of calling the
function".

That's what it's already doing, and how it is used in places which call the
function, so probably makes sense to fix that.

In the longer term (think KF6), i would also quite like all the functionality
here to end up entirely asynchronous.

REPOSITORY
  R304 KNewStuff

To: alex, #knewstuff, meven, ngraham, leinir