Hi,

I seem to recall having read that baloo's future is incertain, inhowfar is that
correct and to what extent are there concrete plans to develop something else?

I think there'd be justification for developing a good cross-platfom desktop
search engine that applications can use regardless of the platform on which
they're running. I'm aware that the "other big 2" platforms have their own
desktop search engines, but at least the one Apple provides is not without its
flaws. They could of course be used as a backend (I think even the current
Baloo framework could be extended to relay queries to them so it actually does
something on Mac and MSWin) but that still means that document importer plugins
need to be written for each platform.

Anyway, that's not the only reason I'm bringing this up; I ran into a question
the other day "how do I find any/all binary files that link to (= depend on)
this or that shared library?".

That's a query to which an answer can be obtained by maintaining a database of
the dependency lists of all binaries in the searchable areas, gotten through
ldd (otool on Mac). And that's data that one should be able to integrate into a
desktop search database.

Does this ring any bells, I'm guessing this should be useful enough to
distribution maintainers and OS developers that someone must have implemented a
utility?

Thanks,
René