tfry added a comment.

  It's difficult to explain a confusing situation, clearly, but I don't think
you succeeded. AFAIU, there are //three// distinct approaches:
  a) embedded icons
  b) QIcon::setThemeSearchPaths()
  c) patched libs

  From the current wording I'm not sure, whether you do or do not want to hint
at c) at all. For a) and b), I suggest the following wording:

    On other platforms such as Windows and Mac OS, icon themes are not
regularly part of the system,
    though they are available through package management systems (like
MacPorts, Fink and
    Cygwin).

    The deployment strategy for creating standalone applications on those
operations systems is to either a) make sure the required icon theme is
installed in a suitable (system) location, and use call
QIcon::setThemeSearchPaths(), or b) to embed icons as a binary resource as
follows:

REPOSITORY
  R302 KIconThemes

To: rjvbb, #frameworks