ngraham added a comment.

  In D12077#246406 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D12077#246406>, @rkflx wrote:

  > Ah, small misunderstanding: I was mainly referring to not making Above
filename (in conjunction with Short View) the overall default for the dialog.
If Detailed (Tree) View was the default, changing the mode of Short View is
probably fine.

  Great. I could get on board with making Detailed Tree View the default.

  In D12077#246406 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D12077#246406>, @rkflx wrote:

  > We could also add a third button

  I wouldn't be against that in principle, but that's much more challenging
since icons-on-top vs icons-on-the-side is currently a setting that applies to
Short View, not two separate views the way they are in Dolphin. Separating
those out would be a big headache due to the way the data is stored, and
furthermore if we separated that out into Icons View and Details View, then
there would be five modes, unless we also removed Detailed View and Tree
View... All in all I think that would be desirable, but I'm not sure I'm ready
for that quite yet.

  In D12077#246406 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D12077#246406>, @rkflx wrote:

  > so it would work just like in Dolphin (needs removing Reload, but who is
using that anyway, because it's not even present in Dolphin? See also D12215
<https://phabricator.kde.org/D12215> ;).

  ...and D12218 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D12218>. :)

  > Regarding your examples of primarily "visual" documents: I acknowledge
that's one of the uses cases. However, please understand that here we are
building a generic dialog. It also has to work for save (where previews do not
make much sense, because you are mainly selecting a directory and then typing
the filename manually), and for all other filetypes where you'd rather have
long names than a big icon. The unifying theme for all items is the filename,
not the preview! IOW, your use case is only a subset of all possible cases, but
the default choice should fit all situations. Of course your work in making it
easier to switch is important here, too…

  Yep, that was the point. :)

REPOSITORY
  R241 KIO

BRANCH