dfaure added a comment.

  I just tested how vim handles this. No QSaveFile-like behaviour (direct
write, says strace), and in case of partition full, this error message appears:

  "myfile" E514: write error (file system full?)

  WARNING: Original file may be lost or damaged
  don't quit the editor until the file is successfully written!

  That's the beautiful difference between a text editor and a program saving a
config file or whatever else: you can leave the editor open so the data is not
lost!
  I recommend that kate implements something similar, if not already done.

  For the curious, here's how I investigated vim's behaviour without filling my
real partition:

    cd /tmp
    dd if=/dev/zero of=loopback count=200
    sudo mkfs.ext2 loopback
    sudo mount -o loop loopback mnt
    sudo chown $USER:$GID mnt
    cd mnt
    yes > myfile
      # (this ends with "No space left on device")
    vim myfile

    # elsewhere: strace -e file -p `pidof vim`

    in vim, paste a whole bunch of additional text into the file, save

REPOSITORY
  R39 KTextEditor

To: cullmann, dhaumann
Cc: dfaure, kwrite-devel, kde-frameworks-devel, michaelh, kevinapavew, ngraham,
bruns, demsking, cullmann, sars, dhaumann