bruns added a comment.

  In D16579#352406 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D16579#352406>, @smithjd wrote:

  > In D16579#352282 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D16579#352282>, @bruns wrote:
  >
  > > In D16579#352279 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D16579#352279>, @smithjd
wrote:

  > > > I would instead recommend a tag editor that properly tags APE files,
such as puddletag. APE-using formats are less mainstream than id3 using
formats. Users with APE-using formats usually know WHY they use their format of
choice, and will know there are potential support shortfalls such as
non-compliant tagging software, or software that allows to circumvent the
accepted tagging standard, and will know how to mitigate or avoid such issues.
I must also point out that stricter tag field adherence is better for APE-using
formats in particular, and is better for all tag-using formats in general.

  > > Good luck "educating" every APE user, they will really like to be told
they should do what you consider right.

  > ...and we should probably rip out *EVERY* other format except for mp3 with
its larger installed base and because it's standard fields are more supported
by other software.

  > This is a *fix* for APE tag support, not an argument over why there are
*de-facto* standard tag fields or why certain users can screw up with powerful
software, or why standardization is a problem and goal, especially in a tag
format that permits arbitrary field names. There are 2 sources attached to this
review and anecdotal evidence as to what a number of tag programs can or do
write into APE tags. This is enough for an educated guess as to a broad
consensus on standardized APE field names.

  > I'm also not in favour of compatibility with alternatives to the de-facto
APE field names. We should not be encouraging alternatives to well-established,
documented field names. It's also potential burden on the writers of other
software and also on the users of APE tags, and detrimental to the APE-using
format's ecosystem.

  Ever heard of:

  > Be conservative in what you do, be liberal in what you accept from others

  You deliberately break other users files. The only consensus you have is with
yourself.

REPOSITORY
  R286 KFileMetaData

To: smithjd, astippich, bruns