I reported problems following an upgrade ro 4.3.5 in a previous thread:
kde4 Upgrade to 4.3.5 -problems

The major problem was solved (kde would not load) BUT I am now left without
a working keyboard although the mouse works and total system crash in a
specific kde4 situation.

Now after kde4 loads with usual plasmas no keyboard input was possible
despite the following entries  in /etc/rc.conf

hald_enable="YES"
dbus_enable="YES"

When I say no keyboard there is a response to Function keys!

I wanted experiment. I logged out using the mouse. Then I plugged in an
another keyboard (this time on the USB bus). Tested that both kbs worked
worked (before starting x) on a normal console and then

% startx

produced a total system crash!

I removed the additional keyboard, & after booting to single user mode and
running fsck tried startx again.

Kde started fine. However still no keyboard function.

Logged out and tried
% startx
again -- system crashed again!!!.
So the crash does not seem to have anything to do with the second keyboard
but a lot to do with logging out of X and trying to log in again.

Does anyone have any clue here?

Again this is freebsd 7.2 p3 amd64 on intel quad core.

Thanks in advance

David