On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 15:51, phanisvara das <listm...@phanisvara.com> wrote:

> doesn't this depend on the application, not the DE? in many cases app.s can
> be configured via 'settings' or conf. files, what they'll do when they are
> called while an instance is running already (konqueror, per ex.). in some
> cases you can add a command line argument to force a certain behavior, like
> re-use of an existing instance (firefox).

Yes, but not all applications support this.

> with skype i couldn't figure out how to make it re-use it's existing
> instance, unfortunately.

That is one of the main offenders. They will have over 10 Skype
instances running!

>> You could use xlsclients -al to get the list of running applications and
>> their window IDs, and then xdotool windowactivate <windowid> to bring it
>> to the foreground.
>
> gave this a short try, but didn't get anything useful. didn't try very much
> though; quite possibly this may work if one really tries...

I did manage to locate and bring to foreground a Dolphin window with
this. It is doable so long as a window is open, I need to check for
applications such as Skype that may be running as a service.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com