Dear Kdenlive-devels,

we love Kdenlive. A lot. And we want to commission the development of a video
editing server based on it that will help alleviate the stunning lack of video
in Wikipedia. And the first people who come to mind for asking whether they are
interested in the project are those who brought us Kdenlive in the first place:
you.

We are the project Videos for Wikipedia Articles
(https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/WP:VWA), which was initiated at the Centre for
Digital Cultures of Leuphana University Lüneburg, Germany, is supported by
Wikimedia Germany and funded by the German Ministry for Education and Science.

Please find below the introduction to the specifications of the service we
would like to have developed. We're very curious what you think. We hope you
like the idea as much as people at Wikimedia and at the Internet Archive which
will provide its infrastructure for development and will host the final service.

And we hope to find one or a group from your midst to commission the work to.
Caveat: the VWA project has to close its books by the end of the year. Little
time and comparably little money but big chance of establishing Kdenlive as the
standard video editor in the Wikipedia universe

I could post the full specs here on the list, maybe as .odt. Or you could
contact me offlist <vgr...@vgrass.de> if this request is considered off-topic.
Please advise how to proceed.

We find the idea of building a three-way cooperation between the Internet
Archive, Wikipdia and Kdenlive really exciting. I hope you share the feeling.

Thank you for Kdenlive!

Best,
Volker

The Video Editing Server
Distributed video production has to struggle with a number of bottlenecks:

        • Wikimedia Commons permits uploading of video files only in the
patent-free formats WebM / VP8/VP9 and Ogg/Theora.

        • Once produced and published on Wikimedia Commons, videos can not be
edited further or re-used by other users because those do not have access to
either raw footage or project files.

        • Distributed volunteer video teams can hardly work together, because
the large data volume from common consumer cameras recording in HD and soon 4K
make exchanging files difficult.

        • Also in editing video, common consumer PCs available to volunteer
producers quickly reach their limits due to large data volumes.

        • Raw footage can currently only be archived de-centrally by the
volunteer producers themselves who continuously have to expand storage capacity
or delete material.

        • The upload to Wikimedia Commons with regular browsers is limited to
100 MB (1 GB with chunked upload) which is too little for most videos.

A Video Editing Server based on the free, non-linear editing software Kdenlive
will solve or alleviate these problems:

        • Raw footage will be archived on the Editing Server.

        • Producers get smaller proxy clips from the Editing Server that are
fast to download and easy to edit on standard consumer PCs.

        • After editing, producers upload their video project files to the
Server which are then available for other producers.

        • From the video project files and the archived raw footage, the Server
renders the final video and cross-site uploads it directly to Wikimedia
Commons. Thus the producers avoid the computationally intensive rendering as
well as the cumbersome process of uploading large files to Wikimedia Commons.