I clicked "send" too soon.  I meant to share this knowledge base
article that is slightly relevant.  The focus is on using Kea with
pgpool-ii but it does show an example of storing the configuration in
the database and working with it via the API at the end:
https://kb.isc.org/docs/experimenting-with-postgresql-high-availability

Thank you,
Darren Ankney