Check out the kx509 form University of Michgan.

http://www.citi.umich.edu/projects/kerb_pki/

It uses Kerberos to authenticate to a CA to get a short term certiifcate based
on the lifetime of the Kerberos ticket.
The certificate and key are then saved in the the ticket cache, and a browser plugin
which uses PKCS#11 acceses the cache. Thus it uses SSL with certificates
with no changes to the browser or server.

--

 Douglas E. Engert  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 Argonne National Laboratory