On 10/11/2011 11:55 AM, Mike Spinzer wrote:
> I set up the MIT Kerberos in my network (mainly compounded of Ubuntu
> servers), and it's working fine. My concern is now to prevent that if an
> attacker manages to be root on one server, he could after compromise other
> servers. Some of the users need to have root access on several servers; By
> now, they connect to servers through SSH with a forwardable ticket, that they
> can use either to bounce on another server or to become root with ksu without
> entering any password (so that they never enter their password on a server
> that could have been compromised).
> However, the problem is that if an attacker is root on one server, he can
> easily steal other users credentials (stored by now in files in /tmp) and
> connect and become root on other servers.

It doesn't really matter how credentials are stored.  All data passing
through a compromised server is subject to theft.  Allowing users to
"bounce" from server to server is fundamentally at odds with containing
the effect of a server compromise.

I believe the only ways to mitigate this risk are:

1. Stop forwarding TGTs around.  Allow direct root login by users
authorized to do so (ideally using separate username/root principals).

2. Reduce the maximum ticket lifetime.