On 7/21/2017 11:13 AM, Charles Hedrick wrote:
> The argument makes sense.
>
> However I am disturbed by the fact that a keytab can be used anywhere. If
> someone manages to become root on one machine, I’d like them not to be able
> to do things on other machines. I’m in an environment where we have systems
> administered by users, and unattended public workstations.
>
> That makes me unwilling to tell users to create key tables for cron jobs.

Sites have implemented a wide variety of approaches to authenticating
cron jobs.  The cron process is specific to a host and is not the user.
As such some sites provide tooling that issues host specific principals
for such use with cron:

  user/cron/hostname@REALM

is a common format.  It is then up to the service receiving such a
principal to ensure that the authenticating client is in fact connecting
from the specified host.  Authorization rules can be applied as desired
to either grant specific permissions to

  user/cron/hostname@REALM
  user/cron/*@REALM
  user/*/*@REALM