By moving the Mustang box into a lab that had a gigibit connection, it
immediately connected with the network.  It's surprising that the
network worked just fine on a 100Kb connection when running tftpboot and
when installing Ubuntu, but not when running Ubuntu.  This looks like a
limitation in the Ubuntu 14.04 driver for aarch64, not with the Mustang
box itself.  It's just too bad that this limitation isn't documented
anywhere, other than this bug report.

  xgene-enet: doesn't work at 100Mbit

  I hooked a mustang board up to a 100Mbit switch, and it fails to
  communicate. I've tried a couple switches, one a pretty common WRT54GL
  running Tomato firmware. The system fails to DHCP or ping if manually
  configured. I've verified the port/cable are ok with other devices.