Public bug reported:

I just did a fresh install of Ubuntu 14.04.2 using the official install
medium onto my NAS. My NAS contains three drives which I run in a RAID5
configuration with LVM on top. I setup each drive to have a 128MB EFI
partition which stores grubx64.efi and put the rest of the drive under
the RAID5+LVM configuration. The Ubuntu 14.04.2 and 15.04 installs were
happy to let me do that however when I try to boot into the freshly
installed system the GRUB command prompt came up.

While I was able to see the LVM partitions using ls I couldn't access
them because I needed raid5rec.mod. I booted into a live CD and used
grub-mkimage to create a grubx64.efi image which had raid5rec.mod, and
all the other modules I needed to boot, embedded into grubx64.efi.

Possible resolutions
1. Store all grub modules on the EFI partition
2. Modify grub-install to create grubx64.efi with all block/file system modules
embedded into the image needed to access the partition which contains the grub
modules

  grub-install doesn't include raid5rec.mod