This is reported against an old version of Ubuntu and many things has
changed since then. Because of that we won't fix this issue however if
this behavior repeats on a modern version please fill a bug report
against it and we will take it from there.

** Changed in: bluez (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to bluez in Ubuntu.

  Bluetooth fails to connect to Phone

Status in bluez package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: bluez

  Jaunty 64bit

  2.6.28-13-generic #45-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jun 30 22:12:12 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux
  Bluez 4.41.0ubuntu1

  To get Bluetooth to work, after most restarts of my Jaunty 64 I have
  to force a connection from my phone to the PC.

  I do this via the remote control program "anyremote". anyremote
  "talks" via Bluetooth Channel 19. The PC "anyremote" component does
  NOT have to be running. Just making the attempt seems to "wake up" the
  Bluetooth service on the PC.

  I have a new phone Nokia 5800 and the behaviour is the same as with
  the 6233.

  When the "connection" is made everything works ok. Its very
  consistent, although sometimes after a restart Bluetooth connection
  works without intervention.

  I have reported this behaviour in 268502,
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/intrepid/+source/linux/+bug/268502

  "Now bluetooth mostly only works (ie can send files or use Gnome Phone
  Manager) if I connect from the Phone to the Laptop (Dell using 370
  Minicard) via anyremote first. So what I have to do it start anyremote
  via ganyremote - then I start Anyremote on my Nokia 6233 and then I
  can disconnect if I want too (don't have to) and then the Laptop can
  successfully communicate with the phone.

  I updated to latest Blues 4.36 from 4.32 no change"

  I assume its bluez - but I suspect it might be kernel related.