https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/FindRightPackage#Hardware_Malfunctions
suggest the prblem may be with the kernel.

** Package changed: ubuntu => linux (Ubuntu)

  Nikon CoolPix 5600 camera not recognized

  Hi,

  My Nikon Coolpix 5600 camera is not automatically detected (no icon in the
Launcher or in "Devices"). However it appears in Shotwell.
  I can import photos from Canon A1000 IS camera with Shotwell but not from the
Nikon (error message: Could not claim the USB device (-53))
  All the other USB devices work (webcam, flash drives, external HDD, mouse and
keyboard).

  Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
  shotwell 0.18.0-0ubuntu4.1