I went ahead and ran apt install mcelog, i'll provide logs the next
system freeze that occurs. I have the original posters identical 2-1
toshiba laptop, identical model number and part number and experiencing
these identical exact issues and symptoms.

Sensors doesn't seem to be able to detect the fan, but does report CPU
temps, but i don't see it going over 60 deg C, .... Web browsers with
multiple tabs open seem to force the freeze much faster.. but just
idling at the desktop, with a terminal window open causes the freezes as
well.

small work around that seems to make the freeze happen far less frequent
is to set temp trigger points that when the CPU temp reaches 55 degrees
C, I use tlp to lower the CPU speed down to its minimum of 500mhz from
its peak of 2.6ghz (in turbo), and 2.16ghz in normal clock speed.

I believe its temp related, as it doesn't freeze nearly as often when
the AC is unplugged, and with the battery charging/ac plugged in the
temps start to rise quickly.

None of these freezes/heat issues/fan detection issues occur in Windows,
but I'd really like to remove that OS asap, and use Ubuntu exclusively.

toshset is a package that is supposed to allow control over various non-
legacy bios Toshiba laptops by using ACPI entirely, including fan,
bluetooth but the app kicks out the error "required kernel toshiba
support not enabled"

and that's with toshiba-wmi and toshiba_acpi modules loaded. (i can try
to recompile the kernel with these hardcoded, but i'd rather not
recompile the kernel every time i update)

I have been troubleshooting the issue since purchasing the device in Feb '16...
 I have installed various versions of Ubuntu (14.04lts, 14.10, 15.04lts, 15.10,
and now 16.04lts), and have installed various kernels, including new branches
4.6.3 and 4.7 trying to find an end to the lockups. (sysreq REISUB does not
work, these are an entire system hard freeze)

i have done the dsdt walkthroughs i found elsewhere on the web to pull as much
info from the bios of the system, which created several files:
dsdt.dat/dsdt.dsl and all the subsequent ssdt*.dat/ssdt*.dsl files, if those
would help at all.

Let me know what you need, I'm highly motivated to get this issue resolved, as
its been frustrating me for months.

  computer freezes frequently

Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix
Status in linux source package in Xenial:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  Running Xenial. Freezes seem to happen every 5 to 45 minutes. I have
  not been able to create any repro steps, it feels quite random.

  Package: linux-image-4.4.0-4-generic 4.4.0-4.19
  ApportVersion: 2.19.4-0ubuntu2
  Architecture: amd64
  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  rick       1780 F.... pulseaudio
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Tue Feb 16 08:26:12 2016
  HibernationDevice: RESUME=UUID=36268acb-4215-452f-9778-754c015d00d8
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 16.04 LTS "Xenial Xerus" - Alpha amd64 (20160131)
  MachineType: TOSHIBA Satellite L15W-B
  ProcFB: 0 inteldrmfb
  ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-4.4.0-4-generic.efi.signed
root=UUID=ed019e52-c90e-48b7-bbe4-ae5d39fea067 ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
  RelatedPackageVersions:
   linux-restricted-modules-4.4.0-4-generic N/A
   linux-backports-modules-4.4.0-4-generic  N/A
   linux-firmware                           1.155
  SourcePackage: linux
  dmi.bios.date: 07/16/2015
  dmi.bios.vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
  dmi.bios.version: 5.00
  dmi.board.asset.tag: ATN12345678901234567
  dmi.board.name: 0670
  dmi.board.vendor: FF40
  dmi.board.version: To be filled by O.E.M.
  dmi.chassis.asset.tag: No Asset Tag
  dmi.chassis.type: 10
  dmi.chassis.vendor: TOSHIBA
  dmi.chassis.version: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
  dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnAmericanMegatrendsInc.:bvr5.00:bd07/16/2015:svnTOSHIBA:pnSatelliteL15W-B:pvrPSKVUU-00S01U:rvnFF40:rn0670:rvrTobefilledbyO.E.M.:cvnTOSHIBA:ct10:cvrToBeFilledByO.E.M.:
  dmi.product.name: Satellite L15W-B
  dmi.product.version: PSKVUU-00S01U
  dmi.sys.vendor: TOSHIBA