This bug is missing log files that will aid in diagnosing the problem.
>From a terminal window please run:

apport-collect 1618075

and then change the status of the bug to 'Confirmed'.

If, due to the nature of the issue you have encountered, you are unable
to run this command, please add a comment stating that fact and change
the bug status to 'Confirmed'.

This change has been made by an automated script, maintained by the
Ubuntu Kernel Team.

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

  freeze on wake from suspend on 16.04, Dell Latitude e7470

  On waking up from suspend, the display stays black. I cannot switch to
  the console, nor kill the x server. After a while the laptop reboots
  itself, or alternatively, I power it off.

  It does not happen on every suspend, but very often. I happens most of
  the times when the laptop was recently connected to the Dell dock,
  which connects to an external display via DVI and ethernet.

  My system is Ubuntu 16.04 with all updates, kernel Ubuntu
  4.4.0-34.53-generic 4.4.15 on a Dell Latitude E7470. FDE is enabled,
  swap is on the encrypted partition.

  I've tried a 4.6 kernel from mainline-builds, that did not solve the
  problem.

  I'd be very grateful for any advise on what to do about this.