I confirm that 4.8.0-17 in the PPA boots on Scalingstack instances
again. Thanks!

  4.8.0-16.17: genirq: Flags mismatch serial vs goldfish_pdev_bus

Status in linux source package in Yakkety:

  I usually run kvm with '-serial stdio' after adding
  GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="console=ttyS0" to /etc/default/grub.  This
  will give me a serial console where I can login and, more important,
  get kernel logs.

  After install 4.8.0-16.17 I'm unable to login in the serial console,
  and I'm getting a lot of messages:

    genirq: Flags mismatch irq 4. 00000000 (serial) vs. 00000080
  (goldfish_pdev_bus)

  System seems to be working fine otherwise.

  4.8.0-15.16 didn't show this behaviour.

  The obvious suspect commits are the "SAUCE: irqchip/gicv3-its:*" in
  -16, although the several config changes may also be involved.