Just tested v4.4.20 and v4.4.21 and both worked by showing the luks password
prompted and then booted.
As a result I didn't test .19, should I ?

The luks password prompt might be a different issue than the kernel
stack trace one?

  4.4.0-40-generic no prompts for disk encryption + loops on dots load
  screen

Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress
Status in linux source package in Xenial:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  Since the upgrade to Ubuntu's 16.04.1 Linux kernel 4.4.0-40.60, it is
impossible to boot my machine with full root encryption.
  It will keep loading the purple Ubuntu "dots" loading screen for ages and
stay there.

  There is no issue rebooting back with kernel 4.4.0-38.57.

  I tried recreating the initramfs to no avail:
  update-initramfs -d -u -k 4.4.0-40-generic

  Hardware is a Dell Laptop: XPS13 9350 16GB/i7/512GB SSD.