That should be "-o readonly=on".

Packages, which is subscribed to zfs-linux in Ubuntu.

  Ubuntu 16.04.1 Install zfsutils-linux Panic Error, endless loop

Status in zfs-linux package in Ubuntu:

  Fresh install of Ubuntu 16.04.1, installed all updates / upgrades for
  system before installing zfsutils-linux. The install processes all the
  way to Reached target Swap then has a PANIC error and loops endlessly.

  There is a zpool there already (was) with 3TB of data on it. This only
  happened after the system upgrade, so I reinstalled the boot drive /
  OS to see if it was just a issue with that, clearly it's an issue with
  the zfsutils-linux package for 16.04.1

  Package version installed zfsutils-linux 0.6.5.6-0ubuntu12

  Screenshot attached as I can't actually do anything once the boot gets
  to this stage: