I haven't tried any previous Ubuntu or kernel releases. I'm not doing
anything special to compile perf myself, i.e., I just run make in
tools/perf. Looking at tools/perf/Makefile.config, it seems like
auxtrace gets disabled if GCC is detected to not have __get_cpuid, which
makes it seems like a bug in the feature detection or an abnormality in
the environment where perf is built for linux-tools-common.

  perf compiled without auxtrace

Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged

Bug description:
  perf in linux-tools-common_4.8.0-27.29 seems to be compiled without auxtrace
support. This prevents perf from using Intel Processor Trace (PT) or Branch
Trace Store (BTS). Unfortunately, rather than indicating that auxtrace is
missing, perf just records no samples:
  # grep -c intel_pt /proc/cpuinfo
  8
  # perf list | grep intel_pt
  # grep intel_pt /proc/cpuinfo
  # perf record -e intel_pt// -- ls
  # perf script

  I am able to successfully to use PT on my machine if I compile perf
  myself.