This bug is missing log files that will aid in diagnosing the problem.
>From a terminal window please run:

apport-collect 1639202

and then change the status of the bug to 'Confirmed'.

If, due to the nature of the issue you have encountered, you are unable
to run this command, please add a comment stating that fact and change
the bug status to 'Confirmed'.

This change has been made by an automated script, maintained by the
Ubuntu Kernel Team.

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

  Cannot enlist/commission machines in MAAS 2.1 with usb network adapter

Status in MAAS:
  Incomplete
Status in maas-images:

  After upgrade from MAAS 2.0 to MAAS 2.1:

  Cannot enlist/commission client machines via network boot (or pre-
  staging machine) when using usb-c network adapter D59GG (e.g.
  Precision 5510). This was working ok with MAAS 2.0.

  Using the Xenial 16.04 base image for enlist/commission (no minimum
  kernel set).

  Enlist/Commission/Deploy works fine with other laptop and desktop
  models which have a built in NIC.

  From an already deployed Precision 5510 system (16.04.1) I can see the
  following module is loaded when the usb-c adapter is connected (and
  working):

  $ lsmod
  usbnet        45056 1 cdc_ether

  Errors received on client during enlisting with MAAS:

  no /run/net-bootif.conf
  lvmetad is not activated
  ...invalid path for logical volume.
  gave up waiting for root device
  common problems: boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
  check rootdelay = (did system wait long enough)
  check root = (did the system wait for the right device?)
  missing modules (cat /proc/modules)
  ALERT!
/dev/disk/by-path/ip-<ipaddress>:3260-iscsi-iqn,2004.05.com.ubuntu:maas:ephemeral-ubuntu-amd64-generic-xenial-daily-lun-1
 does not exist. Dropping to shell!
  usbcore: registered new interface driver usbhid
  usbhid: USB HID core driver

  - cat /proc/cmdline shows mac address that of usb-c network adapter.
  - cat /proc/modules includes “usbnet 45056 cdc_ether, Live 0xffffffffc009c000”
  - cat /proc/modules | grep usb … includes “ usbnet 45056 and usbhid 49152”

  I've tried enlisting with older boot image and different kernel versions
(14.04 and 16.04 with ga-16.04, hwe-16.04 set) but get the same problem.

  It seems like the usb-c network adapter isn't loading properly or
  maybe just not quickly enough?

  Please let me know if you require any more info. I can provide info
  from /var/log/maas/* and dpkg -l '*maas*'|cat if need be.