Steven Ward, the next step is to fully commit bisect from kernel 4.4 to
4.8 in order to identify the last good kernel commit, followed
immediately by the first bad one. This will allow for a more expedited
analysis of the root cause of your issue. Could you please do this
following https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/KernelBisection ?

Please note, finding adjacent kernel versions is not fully commit
bisecting.

Also, the kernel release names are irrelevant for the purposes of
bisecting.

It is most helpful that after the fix commit (not kernel version) has
been identified, you then mark this report Status Confirmed.

Thank you for your help.

** Tags added: bios-outdated-99cn28ww

** Tags added: kernel-bug-exists-upstream-4.9 needs-bisect regression-
release

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

** Attachment removed: "lspci-vnvn.log"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1649048/+attachment/4790174/+files/lspci-vnvn.log

  "Power off" required for resume from hybrid-sleep

  Due to issues with "waking from suspend", I have modified a few entries in
/etc/systemd/logind.conf to use hybrid-sleep instead of suspend, namely
'HandleSuspendKey=hybrid-sleep', 'HandleLidSwitch=hybrid-sleep' and
'HandleLidSwitchDocked=hybrid-sleep'. On a few occasions now, I have closed my
laptop lid while it is plugged it and when I return to it later, it does not
resume on lifting the lid. The disk spins up and the fan runs as if the laptop
was resuming but I am unable to do anything other than hold the power button
down until it shuts down - much as I had to when I was having problems with
suspend. When I hit the power button again and select the entry for Ubuntu in
grub, the laptop boots to the login screen normally. When I log in, everything
is just as it was when I originally closed the laptop's lid - basically
"resuming" the way I had hoped. I do not believe that this is the intended
behavior as I have had my computer resume from hybrid-sleep without powering it
off in 16
 .04 and in 16.10 (I have not, that I know of, experienced this problem while
on battery power). In case it is relevant, the current values of 'Suspend when
inactive for' and 'When the lid closes' in Settings > Power are "Don't suspend"
(for battery and plugged in) and "Suspend" (for battery and plugged in),
respectively.
  I will attach the output from 'cat /proc/version_signature' and 'lspci -vnvn'
but I would like to add that 'sudo lspci -vnvn' sent 'pcilib: sysfs_read_vpd:
read failed: Input/output error' to stderr, which was not redirected to the log
file.

  Package: linux-image-4.8.0-30-generic 4.8.0-30.32
  ApportVersion: 2.20.3-0ubuntu8
  Architecture: amd64
  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/controlC1:  steven     4004 F.... pulseaudio
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  steven     4004 F.... pulseaudio
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Sat Dec 10 22:06:19 2016
  HibernationDevice: RESUME=UUID=891e7a47-9f8c-4fc9-9fe3-fe5c88ef2147
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 16.10 "Yakkety Yak" - Release amd64 (20161012.2)
  MachineType: LENOVO 20347
  ProcFB: 0 inteldrmfb
  ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-4.8.0-30-generic.efi.signed
root=UUID=b40d7383-45c3-4885-a1df-0e534eb44fef ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
  RelatedPackageVersions:
   linux-restricted-modules-4.8.0-30-generic N/A
   linux-backports-modules-4.8.0-30-generic  N/A
   linux-firmware                            1.161
  SourcePackage: linux
  dmi.bios.date: 03/24/2014
  dmi.bios.vendor: LENOVO
  dmi.bios.version: 99CN21WW(V1.04)
  dmi.board.asset.tag: Std
  dmi.board.name: Lenovo Y40-70
  dmi.board.vendor: LENOVO
  dmi.board.version: 31900058Std
  dmi.chassis.asset.tag: Std
  dmi.chassis.type: 10
  dmi.chassis.vendor: LENOVO
  dmi.chassis.version: Lenovo Y40-70
  dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnLENOVO:bvr99CN21WW(V1.04):bd03/24/2014:svnLENOVO:pn20347:pvrLenovoY40-70:rvnLENOVO:rnLenovoY40-70:rvr31900058Std:cvnLENOVO:ct10:cvrLenovoY40-70:
  dmi.product.name: 20347
  dmi.product.version: Lenovo Y40-70
  dmi.sys.vendor: LENOVO