I already read #25 4 or more times and it did not provide sufficient
details to tell me what to do in conjunction with your other direction.
So I provided the details of what I did and asked my questions when you
balked.... Your reply doesn't help when it doesn't even answer these
follow up questions. I went to the place where you pointed and bisected
all the versions between the latest and the one I started with. I found
the one that started the failure. I dug into the index for that version
and pulled out the "commit" as you asked and all you reply with is to
point me to the same #25 I have already read a bunch.

Do you or do you not want the commit string I got from the version that
failed out of the index file that plainly stated:

These binary packages represent builds of the mainline or stable Linux kernel
tree at the commit below:
v4.5-rc1 (92e963f50fc74041b5e9e744c330dca48e04f08d)

You initially stated "the next step is to fully commit bisect from
kernel 3.19 to 4.4 in order to identify the last good kernel commit,
followed immediately by the first bad one".

I understand "bisecting" of lists to locate one of interest and have
been doing this for over 40 years. However, "fully commit bisect" is
vague and you don't explain what you want. The reference to
"https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/KernelBisection"; I read too. But that
too is confusing. Since you sent me to "http://kernel.ubuntu.com
/~kernel-ppa/mainline/?C=N;O=D" I used THIS to get the kernels to
bisect. You have not said one way or the other whether you sent me to
the wrong place to get this stuff to bisect. Reading
"https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/KernelBisection"; and using
"http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/?C=N;O=D"; I followed your
instructions.

I did not find any fields or boxes on this web page to put something
referred to as a "fully commit" or even "commit".

If this is not what you want then you have to at least answer my
questions and point me to a different file tree other than
"http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/?C=N;O=D"; to find
whatever else I am to find and how to report to you what that is that
correlates to what I tested.

I cannot get src and build kernels with my current setup. So I have to
rely on the fully built .deb packages. I did this and isolated what
worked and what didn't from "http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-
ppa/mainline/?C=N;O=D". I reported the "commit" data from this.

How about a more specific description of what you want that is different
from what I produced and how I'm to report it differently from how I
have already reported?

  ubuntu 1404_HWE_EOL kernel breaks Thinkpad T530 keyboard backlight
  operation

  Using kernel 3.19.0-66-generic the keyboard backlight and screen-top
  illuminator work.

  However, after upgrading to kernel 4.4 the keyboard backlight and
  screen-top illuminator come on without hitting the special keys. When
  it returns from screen saver when I hit the return key these lights
  come on also.

  ---
  ApportVersion: 2.14.1-0ubuntu3.21
  Architecture: amd64
  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  painter    3092 F.... pulseaudio
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 14.04
  HibernationDevice: RESUME=UUID=05f2d9dc-173d-41bc-8332-7d0a6e7394fa
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu-GNOME 14.04.1 LTS "Trusty Tahr" - Release amd64
(20140722.2)
  MachineType: LENOVO 2359CTO
  Package: linux (not installed)
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm-256color
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  ProcFB: 0 inteldrmfb
  ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-4.4.0-51-generic
root=UUID=349d96ad-2412-45a5-b1d9-46eb9050bce1 ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.4.0-51.72~14.04.1-generic 4.4.30
  PulseList: Error: command ['pacmd', 'list'] failed with exit code 1: No
PulseAudio daemon running, or not running as session daemon.
  RelatedPackageVersions:
   linux-restricted-modules-4.4.0-51-generic N/A
   linux-backports-modules-4.4.0-51-generic  N/A
   linux-firmware                            1.127.22
  Tags:  trusty
  UserGroups:

  _MarkForUpload: True
  dmi.bios.date: 09/10/2015
  dmi.bios.vendor: LENOVO
  dmi.bios.version: G4ETA5WW (2.65 )
  dmi.board.asset.tag: Not Available
  dmi.board.name: 2359CTO
  dmi.board.vendor: LENOVO
  dmi.board.version: Not Defined
  dmi.chassis.asset.tag: No Asset Information
  dmi.chassis.type: 10
  dmi.chassis.vendor: LENOVO
  dmi.chassis.version: Not Available
  dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnLENOVO:bvrG4ETA5WW(2.65):bd09/10/2015:svnLENOVO:pn2359CTO:pvrThinkPadT530:rvnLENOVO:rn2359CTO:rvrNotDefined:cvnLENOVO:ct10:cvrNotAvailable:
  dmi.product.name: 2359CTO
  dmi.product.version: ThinkPad T530
  dmi.sys.vendor: LENOVO