On powering my PC up after the holiday break I got a welcome back in the
form of a kernel panic.  I had completed some upgrades before the
holiday and was seeing a restart to use the newly upgraded packages
message.

When the PC powered on the Caps Lock and Scroll Lock lights on my
keyboard were blinking.  After passing through grub and attempting to
boot the kernel the boot message ended with the following message (typed
out by me by hand, please see the attached photograph of the screen for
more details):

Kernel Offset: disabled
---[ end Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block(0,0)
------------[ cut here ]------------
WARNING: CPU: 0 PID: 1 at arch/x86/kernel/smp.c:125
native_smp_send_reschedule+0x60/0x70(
Modules linked in:
CPU: 0 PID 1: Comm: swapper/0 Not tainted 4.4.21 #1
Hardware name: Gigabyte Technology Cp., Ltd. H81M-DS2V/H81M-DS2V, BIOS F6
08/11/2015
Call Trace:
 ... dump_stack
 ... warn_slowpath_common
 ... warn_slowpath_null
 ... native_smp_send_rescheduale
 ... trigger_load_balance
 ... scheduler_tick
 ... ? tick_sched_handle.isra
 ... update_process_times
 ... tick_sched_handle.isra

I can type out more of the message if people want but I think the
chances of my typing it all in correctly are slim.

I tried to boot using the (recovery mode) version of 4.4.21 and the .old
version of 4.4.21 that seemed to have appeared from somewhere.  To my eye the
problem looked the same in each version.  Once I selected 4.4.0-57-generic I
was able to complete the boot and begin reporting this bug.

If there are any more steps I can take to aid diagnosis please let me
know.

** Tags: xenial
--
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1653636