[Expired for linux (Ubuntu) because there has been no activity for 60
days.]

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

  Not enough memory to kill process

Status in “linux” package in Ubuntu:
  Expired

Bug description:
  So I was running a process that had a memory leak (1.9 gb RAM) of which I was
unaware of, then I was starting up a virtual machine in VirtualBox.
  My system runs out of memory and things go awry, VirtualBox gets into guru
meditation and crashes and the whole system gets unusable.

  I try to kill VirtualBox to no avail.

  $ killall virtualbox
  bash: fork: Cannot allocate memory

  I have no memory. So I try to free memory. But I can't free memory.
  Because I have no memory.

  So instead of greedily consuming every single little last byte of
  memory, please reserve a couple of puny bytes so that I can run 'kill'
  or 'killall' when things go awry.