Public bug reported:

It seems the VC4 device tree overlay is not applied by the Rpi firmware.

I tried adding dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d and adding a corresponding
.../overlays/vc4-kms-v3d.dtbo file but it seems the Rpi bootloader does
not apply the overlay at all.

I merged vc4-kms-v3d.dtbo into bcm2710-rpi-3-b.dtb using a dtmerge utility
compiled by pulling pieces from (https://github.com/raspberrypi/userland and
https://github.com/dgibson/dtc)
The result is here: https://github.com/albaguirre/dtmerge

With this new device tree binary blob, The VC4 driver (as a module)
loads (and you can see /dev/dri/ entries)

I also played around with the tip of u-boot tree
(git://git.denx.de/u-boot.git) which has support to apply device tree
overlays - it applied fine and VC4 is at least recognized but the driver
cannot initialize properly.

Any idea on what magic incantation is needed for the RPi loaders
(start.elf etc) to apply the vc4 overlay?

** Description changed:

[...]

- (start.elf etc) apply the vc4 overlay?
[...]

  Cannot enable VC4 graphics driver on RPi 3