Thanks for the reply. Since I have had some additional time on my hand I
have played around a bit with kernels and firmwares.

Currently I do not think this is a upstream bug since I can get the
laptop and it's NVME devices etc. to work properly using the latest
Solus Linux version and that is running Kernel 4.9.6.

I did try to use the same kernel with Ubuntu 16.10 and the 17.04 ALPHA
builds, but I was not able to get the suspend to work with my NVME
devices and WiFi. I suspect that the linux firmware might be what is
different here, but can't say for sure since I'm far from an expert on
how the Linux kernel should operate with these new kinds of devices.

Hopefully this additional information might be of use for you.

  NVME devices and Network devices disappears upon suspend

Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in linux source package in Yakkety:
  Triaged

Bug description:
  Ubuntu 16.10 on a Alienware 15 R2 when resuming from suspend the NVME
  devices and network devices are gone.

  I can force the devices to re-appear issuing echo 1 >
  /sys/bus/pci/rescan, that was what I did to be able to submit this bug
  report from a live USB stick.

  Package: linux-image-4.8.0-22-generic 4.8.0-22.24
  ApportVersion: 2.20.3-0ubuntu8
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperVersion: 1.379
  CurrentDesktop: Unity