I found that if you downgrade the modemmanager the UML295 indeed works
as it should.  However, it breaks my Sierra Wireless 340U. If you use a
recent modem manager the 340U works but it breaks the UML295. Know that
I am dual booting with Win10 and Ubuntu.

I have a workaround. It seems that the initiation sequence takes a
certain amount of time for the UML295 to complete properly. If you
interrupt the boot process and let it sit you can allow the UML295
enough time to initiate and then it works.  It doesn't take very long
actually.

When you enter GRUB the default choice gives you 15 second hold before
booting.  This is not long enough.  If you drop down to the next choice
"Advanced Options for Ubuntu" the timer is killed and it will sit in
GRUB indefinitely. Now plug in the UML295.  All you have to do is wait
long enough for the UML295 to initiate and stick on.  You know this has
happened after it flashes green 3-4 times and then becomes green without
flashing. Now you can proceed to boot Ubuntu and the UML295 will work
fine.

The caveat is that you cannot unplug it and plug it back in again but
you don't really do that anyway so it is not a big problem.  You can
toggle it on and off in network manager without a problem.  This works
for my Lenovo and Toshiba notebooks.

This did not work for my Asus notebooks but using the paradigm and being
persistent I discovered that if you boot into the BIOS you also stop the
boot process.  Now you can plug in the UML295 and wait in the same way
for it to initialize as above.  Then you can exit BIOS without saving
and continue into GRUB and boot in the usual way and it sticks.

Humm...  So I tried the BIOS trick and it did not work with the Lenovo.
Go figure.  The Toshiba has a different kind of BIOS forcing me to boot
into the Win10 login screen and then exit from there into GRUB so can't
say about that computer.

In my mind's eye it is all about the initiate timing of the UML295 and
how it interacts with the Ubuntu boot. It's hard for me to think that
more than few lines of code would fix it if this problem has enough
priority for someone to look at it.  So now with the latest modem
manager (good) my 340U just works and my UML295 works fine with a little
dance when I boot.

  cdc_acm causes Pantech UML295 reset

  Release:      14.04

  When I upgraded to 14.04 (3.13 kernel), the Pantech UML295 4G Modem
  stopped functioning properly.

  Expected behavior:
      The modem starts up with a red LED lit while it initialized.  Once a
connection is established, linux recognizes a USB ethernet connection
(cdc_ether), and the LED on the device goes green and flashing, indicating
active connection.  This status remains until the device is disconnected.

  Observed behavior:
      The modem starts up normally, getting to the point that a cdc_ether
device is set up and a working internet connection is established.  Shortly
after this, the modem's light goes blue (an LED color that the documentation
shows no information for), the ethernet connection fails, and the device goes
back to the beginning of its initialization.  The process will repeat
indefinitely.

  This behavior can be avoided, and a connection maintaned, by
  blacklisting cdc_acm.  However, this breaks many other USB serial
  devices.

  Package: linux-image-3.13.0-35-generic 3.13.0-35.62
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.13.0-35.62-generic 3.13.11.6
  Uname: Linux 3.13.0-35-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.14.1-0ubuntu3.4
  Architecture: amd64
  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/controlC1:  charlie    1799 F.... pulseaudio
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  charlie    1799 F.... pulseaudio
   /dev/snd/pcmC0D0c:   charlie    1799 F...m pulseaudio
  CurrentDesktop: X-Cinnamon
  Date: Tue Sep 23 16:16:04 2014
  EcryptfsInUse: Yes
  InstallationMedia: Kubuntu 14.04.1 LTS "Trusty Tahr" - Release amd64
(20140722.2)
  MachineType: LENOVO Lenovo IdeaPad P580
  ProcFB: 0 inteldrmfb
  ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-3.13.0-35-generic.efi.signed
root=/dev/mapper/sysvg-lvroot ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
  RelatedPackageVersions:
   linux-restricted-modules-3.13.0-35-generic N/A
   linux-backports-modules-3.13.0-35-generic  N/A
   linux-firmware                             1.127.5
  SourcePackage: linux
  StagingDrivers: rts5139
  dmi.bios.date: 03/14/2013
  dmi.bios.vendor: LENOVO
  dmi.bios.version: 5ECN96WW(V9.01)
  dmi.board.asset.tag: No Asset Tag
  dmi.board.name: INVALID
  dmi.board.vendor: LENOVO
  dmi.board.version: 00000000INVALID
  dmi.chassis.asset.tag: No Asset Tag
  dmi.chassis.type: 10
  dmi.chassis.vendor: LENOVO
  dmi.chassis.version: Lenovo IdeaPad P580
  dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnLENOVO:bvr5ECN96WW(V9.01):bd03/14/2013:svnLENOVO:pnLenovoIdeaPadP580:pvrLenovoIdeaPadP580:rvnLENOVO:rnINVALID:rvr00000000INVALID:cvnLENOVO:ct10:cvrLenovoIdeaPadP580:
  dmi.product.name: Lenovo IdeaPad P580
  dmi.product.version: Lenovo IdeaPad P580
  dmi.sys.vendor: LENOVO