When I was installing the kernel it complained about possibly missing firmware
files for amdgpu.
Then it failed first but I blacklisted amdgpu module and it booted.

Then I tried to install amdgpu-pro but that couldn't compile the module
since it doesnt support 4.11. But I think it may have installed some
firmware files and I could load the amdgpu module after boot.

But, then I decided to try to disable amdgpu for 4.8 (worst idea ever!).
Apparently everytime I boot 4.8, it destroys something from the hard
drive. It somehow managed to loose /var/lib/dpkg first but after few
reboots, completely lost the whole partition and even grub didnt start.
I am never putting 4.8 again!

So, for now, I can't really test anything anymore since ubuntu self-
destructed itself. Luckily windows and freebsd are still working. Maybe
I wait for Zesty before re-installing.

About 4.11 kernel:

I can tell that at last the basic keyboard was working in Linux/Ubuntu.
Because with 4.4 it was skipping keypresses.

The touchpad was much better, but still somewhat strange. Things like
double tap and two-finger scrolling didn't work. At least mouse cursor
was not jumping around randomly from time to time.

The WIFI didn't work, I had to install rtlwifi_new driver from github.

The hard drive was super slow, maybe even slower than before. I saw
0.6mbyte/s performance when I ran sysbench.

The CPU fan was going full speed and laptop got hot. (least of my
worries but it happened...)

I would like to help more but I don't know what I can do at this stage.
I am not even sure why amdgpu module was loaded, because the APU has sea
islands gpu, I thought this was disabled by default? Did this change in
4.11?

  Official 16.04 HWE 4.8 kernels do not boot (4.4 was booting)

Status in linux source package in Yakkety:

  The machine is the same machine as in this bug report:
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1616830

  In mid 2016 I tested 4.8 kernels on that machine and they did not boot. (and
same errors apply to current situation)
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1616830/comments/5

  Also Ubuntu 16.10 and newer releases do not boot anymore (as reported by a
user, I think it is due to kernel). He also reports the same errors with the
4.8 kernel.
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1616830/comments/15

  It seems that official release kernels still have the same problems
  and nothing was fixed.

  There seem to be many problems with Ubuntu on Carrizo, black screens,
  random freezes. I myself experienced, keyboard problems (keyboard
  sometimes do not register keystrokes), touchpad works strangely,
  random freeze with caps-lock blinking, low disk performance (max
  1.3mbytes/sec) and much more.

  I do not understand how hardware support can be getting worse and
  worse, but that seems to be the case.