Ok, so this bug seems to have been un-fixed (re-introduced) in 4.4.0-66,
perhaps as part of the response to https://www.ubuntu.com/usn/usn-3220-1
Please re-fix (or un-re-introduce) it in a future kernel for Xenial.

Fixing this bug also solves a problem with 'fdisk -l' which is discussed
on askubuntu at: http://askubuntu.com/questions/703576  The ram disks
became an issue when fdisk was updated.

Also, I remember noticing ram[0..15] when I first switched to ubuntu
(maybe 9.04), so I became curious.  They seem to have been here since
the beginning.  You can find CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM=y in the /boot/config
file of linux-image-2.6.8.1-3-386_2.6.8.1-16.1_i386.deb, which was the
oldest one I could find on old-releases.ubuntu.com.  If there is a prize
for the longest-standing ubuntu bug, I guess this one wins it.

Thanks,
-Jeff

  brd module compiled as built-in

Status in linux source package in Xenial:
  Fix Released
Status in linux source package in Yakkety:
  Fix Released
Status in linux source package in Zesty:

  Block RAM disk module (brd, CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM) compiled as 'y', that
  means it is 'built-in' and can not be unloaded or loaded with
  different parameters. This render module completely useless because
  user can not anymore change it size.

  Please change it back to 'm' (module) to allow users use this module.

  Affected kernels (so far): Xenial, Yakkety (4.4).