On behalf of Ubuntu Security, ack on this MIR. We trust that the kernel
team (with some assistance from Ubuntu Security) will provide the
maintenance that they promise in the bug description.

Packages, which is subscribed to linux-aws in Ubuntu.

  [MIR] linux-aws

Status in linux-aws package in Ubuntu:

  We would like to request the linux-aws kernel package be promoted to
  Main for 16.04.

  [Availability]

  The linux-aws kernel package is currently available in Universe for
  16.04.  It successfully builds against amd64 which is the target arch
  to be supported.

  [Rationale]

  The plan is to switch the Ubuntu AMI’s to default to the linux-aws
  kernel, which will have widespread impact for all newly deployed
  instances in AWS.  We, the Canonical Kernel Team, will stand behind
  and fully support this kernel.  It makes sense for this to be promoted
  to Main.

  [Security]

  The linux-aws kernel is based on the stock linux v4.4 based GA Ubuntu
  kernel available in 16.04.  Linux-aws will naturally inherit all
  existing security support and maintenance provided for the stock linux
  v4.4 based GA Ubuntu kernel in 16.04.  The linux kernel package is
  already in Main.

  [Quality assurance]

  The linux-aws kernel will undergo the same 3 week kernel SRU process
  and follow the same SRU requirements for proposed changes.  This
  include bug verification and Kernel SRU testing.

  [Dependencies]

  None

  [Standards compliance]

  The linux-aws kernel adheres to the same level of standards presented
  for the existing linux Ubuntu kernel.

  [Maintenance]

  The Canonical Kernel Team (~canonical-kernel-team) will commit to full
  security maintenance and support of linux-aws for the duration of the
  16.04 LTS release.

  [Background information]

  See above.