Did this issue start happening after an update/upgrade?  Was there a
prior kernel version where you were not having this particular problem?

Would it be possible for you to test the latest upstream kernel? Refer
to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelMainlineBuilds . Please test the latest
v4.11 kernel[0].

If this bug is fixed in the mainline kernel, please add the following
tag 'kernel-fixed-upstream'.

If the mainline kernel does not fix this bug, please add the tag:
'kernel-bug-exists-upstream'.

Once testing of the upstream kernel is complete, please mark this bug as
"Confirmed".

Thanks in advance.

[0] http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.11-rc6

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

  Suspend does not work when booting with 'nomodeset' option

  I am using Ubuntu 16.04.2 with kernel version 4.10.8 on an original
  MacBook Air. No matter how I try to suspend, the screen stays black
  when I try to wake my computer again. I know that it is on because I
  hear sounds if I tap the volume buttons and I am able to connect over
  ssh, but the screen stays black.

  I have tried switching TTYs et.c. but the screen stays black. The
  Apple logo on the lid isn't lit either. I don't know if this is a bug
  or just lack of support but I find it really sad because my computer
  gets way faster when I boot with the 'nomodeset' option.

  Another problem I have with 'nomodeset' is that I am unable to control
  screen brightness. I don't know if this is related or not, but I guess
  it is.