Assigning this to "linux" package. I have no evidence as to whether this
is a kernel issue, or a case of user space processes with crazy
priorities and tight loops etc. However in my experience (a) it takes a
kernel person to distinguish the two (b) kernel people are more
responsive than whoever monitors the no-package-assigned category.

** Package changed: ubuntu => linux (Ubuntu)

  Hang after upgrade to 16.04

  Last week I upgraded from 12.04 LTS to 14.04 LTS and then immediately
  to 16.04 LTS.

  12.04 was not entirely stable; something was crashing regularly, and
  the Ubuntu tools make it hard for a user to determine what. The
  upgrade went moderately well; I now get error messages during system
  startup (about an unnamed file not being found) and a couple of other
  bits of flakiness, but I counted it as a success and the system as
  functional.

  This morning I tried to wake up my screen, and nothing much happened.
  I then attempted to ssh to the ubuntu box from another system. This
  requested my password almost instantly, as normal - but then nothing
  else happened, and the connection eventually dropped.

  I conclude that IP and TCP are functional, and it's possible for some
  processes to respond, but not many. So it's not a complete kernel
  hang. (In particular, I'm seeing evidence that it's getting beyond
  things done at interrupt level.)

  I don't have any debugging aids installed, so I don't believe I can
  get a kernel crash dump, which is what I'd want if I were debugging
  this. I *can* potentially retrieve and attach logs, but you'll have to
  tell me which ones are relevant, and do so before they rollover.
  (Also, logging will have to be functioning; IIRC, there were syslog
  issues in 12.04, and while I'd implemented whatever fix was
  reccommended at the time, I haven't looked at my logs since the
  upgrade.)

  This is a desk top system originally from System 76 - i.e. built for
  linux - that's also running a bunch of server software (postfix,
  apache, ...) I was not (knowingly) running anythign unusual at the
  time - probably Unity, a few shells, firefox, maybe guncash and/or
  emacs - and all the usual demons.

  IIRC, I was not at the very latest versions of all software installed
  - some new versions ahd come out since I upgraded, and I was going to
  deal with installing them on the weekend.

  I'm going to hard reboot the system now. I can then gather identifying
  info. If I have time this AM before work, I'll check for standard
  things you want in all bugs, and add them. (Right now I'm posting from
  my Mac laptop ;-))