On 04/24/2017 12:02 AM, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Richard Laager]
>> Who completely replaced the zfs-initramfs script?
>
> You can find out who commited what in the Debian package by looking in
> the package maintenance git repository available from

I will take a look.

> There is also the pkg-zfsonlinux-de...@lists.alioth.debian.org mailing
> list and the #debian-zfs IRC channel on irc.debian.org.  I believe we
> would all be very happy to see more people there.  This is where the
> package maintenance is being coordinated and discussed in Debian.

I have been subscribed to the mailing list for some time. I have joined
the IRC room now.

Are you saying it was discussed in one of these places?

>> Was there a particular reason for this massive change, and was it
>> discussed anywhere?
>
> As far as I can see from the git repository, there was no 'change',
> there was an 'addition', where to fix BTS report #848157 a file was
> added to /usr/share/initramfs-tools/conf.d/.

/usr/share/initramfs-tools/scripts/zfs was significantly changed in
Zesty from what it is in Xenial:

Richard

Packages, which is subscribed to zfs-linux in Ubuntu.

  ZFS initramfs mounts dataset explicitly set not to be mounted, causing
  boot process to fail

Status in zfs-linux package in Ubuntu:

  Per https://github.com/zfsonlinux/pkg-zfs/issues/221: the initramfs
  zfs script might overrule canmount and mountpoint options for a
  dataset, causing other mount operations and with them the boot process
  to fail.

  Experienced this with Ubuntu Zesty. Xenial seems to ship with a
  different zfs script for the initrd.

  Work around when it happens: unmount the dataset that should not be
  mounted, and exit the initramfs rescue prompt to resume booting.