Can't we upstream the Xenial zfs script instead of fixing the "new" one?
It supports the same syntax, and does what it needs to do? And it does
not try to mount datasets I explicitly configured not to be mountable ;)

Seems like the faster solution, no?

Packages, which is subscribed to zfs-linux in Ubuntu.

  ZFS initramfs mounts dataset explicitly set not to be mounted, causing
  boot process to fail

Status in zfs-linux package in Ubuntu:

  Per https://github.com/zfsonlinux/pkg-zfs/issues/221: the initramfs
  zfs script might overrule canmount and mountpoint options for a
  dataset, causing other mount operations and with them the boot process
  to fail.

  Experienced this with Ubuntu Zesty. Xenial seems to ship with a
  different zfs script for the initrd.

  Work around when it happens: unmount the dataset that should not be
  mounted, and exit the initramfs rescue prompt to resume booting.