@kaihengfeng:

Patch applied on v4.11.9, booted from cold start (which has always shown
the bug) without i8042 parameters, and my trackpad is working great!
I'm happy to say this fixes my problem, will happily testify to upstream
that it's a good patch, and would be delighted for us to mark this bug
as closed. Thank you *so* much!

~ Paul

  ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad inconsistently detected (Gigabyte P57W
  laptop)

  On my Gigabyte P57W laptop the ETPS/2 Elantech touchpad is
  inconsistently detected at boot. Trying mainline 4.6 kernel did not
  help.

  WORKAROUND: Add kernel boot parameter:
  i8042.kbdreset=1

  The device is id=17 on xinput below:
  $ xinput

  ⎡ Virtual core pointer                        id=2    [master pointer  (3)]
  ⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer                      id=4    [slave  pointer
 (2)]
  ⎜   ↳ Kingsis Peripherals  Evoluent VerticalMouse 3   id=12   [slave  pointer
 (2)]
  ⎜   ↳ Sunrex/JME Ghost Key Elimiantion Keyboard       id=14   [slave  pointer
 (2)]
  ⎜   ↳ ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad                        id=17   [slave  pointer
 (2)]
  ⎣ Virtual core keyboard                       id=3    [master keyboard (2)]
      ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard                     id=5    [slave
keyboard (3)]
      ↳ Power Button                                    id=6    [slave
keyboard (3)]
      ↳ Video Bus                                       id=7    [slave
keyboard (3)]
      ↳ Video Bus                                       id=8    [slave
keyboard (3)]
      ↳ Sleep Button                                    id=9    [slave
keyboard (3)]
      ↳ Power Button                                    id=10   [slave
keyboard (3)]
      ↳ Sleep Button                                    id=11   [slave
keyboard (3)]
      ↳ Sunrex/JME Ghost Key Elimiantion Keyboard       id=13   [slave
keyboard (3)]
      ↳ Chicony USB 2.0 Camera                          id=15   [slave
keyboard (3)]
      ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard                    id=16   [slave
keyboard (3)]

  Package: linux-image-4.4.0-24-generic 4.4.0-24.43~14.04.1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.4.0-24.43~14.04.1-generic 4.4.10
  Uname: Linux 4.4.0-24-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.14.1-0ubuntu3.21
  Architecture: amd64