Sorry to be a bother. Any luck in further bisection?

  On VMware ESXi with PCI passthru enabled for Intel NVMe Ubuntu Xenial
  VM does not boot

  My set up is a Cisco UCS c240 server with an Intel NVMe 1.6TB drive
  running VMware ESXi version 6.0U2. NVMe device is made available as a
  PCI passthru device and not claimed by ESXi kernel. This NVMe device
  when added to a Ubuntu 16.04.2 running kernel version 4.4.0-62 and
  above does not boot, kernel does not boot fully and hangs for while
  before the VM powers off. However, running kernel versions 4.4.0-43,
  4.4.0-53, 4.4.0-57, and 4.4.0-59 everything works as expected. Earlier
  versions of the kernel also do not work. Here is a short list of the I
  tested with

  4.4.0-31 -> kernel panic (different issue)
  4.4.0-43 -> works
  4.4.0-53 -> works
  4.4.0-57 -> works
  4.4.0-59 -> works