------- Comment From mauri...@br.ibm.com 2017-09-01 20:30 EDT-------
Likewise for Xenial.

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/git/ubuntu/ubuntu-xenial.git/commit/?h=master-
next&id=6020175400028e2b5cdd8212a6b20d208a033973

Thanks.

** Tags added: verification-done-xenial

  IPR driver causes multipath to fail paths/stuck IO on Medium Errors

Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in linux source package in Xenial:
  Fix Committed
Status in linux source package in Zesty:

  SRU Justification:

  Impact: stuck I/O to multipath disks with medium errors (on IPR controllers)
  Fix: upstream commit for IPR driver to allow SCSI layer to handle the error
  Testcase: perform I/O to a failing disk which is multipathed (on IPR
            controller), which returns SCSI Medium Errors (without the fix,
            the I/O gets stuck).
            the commit message describes a test-case w/ sg_dd.

  ---Problem Description---
  IPR driver causes multipath to fail paths/stuck IO on Medium Errors

  This problem is resolved with this upstream accepted patch, scheduled for
4.11.
  The detailed problem description and resolution are described in the commit
message.

  > scsi: ipr: do not set DID_PASSTHROUGH on CHECK CONDITION

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=785a470496d8e0a32e3d39f376984eb2c98ca5b3

  Please apply to 17.04 (target 16.04.3 HWE kernel) and 16.04 (GA kernel).
  Patch already applied to 17.10.

  The business justification for the SRU is:

  Clients with a dual-controller multipathed IPR configuration that
  eventually runs into failing disk/sectors, will experience an I/O hang
  once the drive reports a Medium Error, which can hang an application
  or even the root filesystem (whatever is doing I/O to the failing
  drive), potentially hanging the system.

  Thanks.

  ---Additional Hardware Info---
  Dual (IPR) controller setup, multipath enabled

  ---Steps to Reproduce---
  1) Use a disk with bad sectors (or force such condition, via internal/special
tools)
  2) Multipath that disk
  3) Run IO to the multipath device on the bad sectors
  4) Both paths will be failed, and IO is stuck due to queue_if_no_path
(enabled by default for IPR)