I found that a fix for this was comitted upstream quite recently, cherry
picked this to artful and it resolves the issue in my testing. Now
applied to artful/master-next.

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)
     Assignee: (unassigned) => Seth Forshee (sforshee)

  20170817 - ISO hangs on boot on qemu with splash screen enabled and
  qxl graphics driver

Status in plymouth package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in ubiquity package in Ubuntu:

  Test Case
  1. Boot artful desktop 20170817 under qemu with qxl
  2. Wait until ubiquity-dm is displayed

  Expected result
  It boots

  Actual result
  It hangs on the splash screen and the dots below the Ubuntu logo are not
blinking. If the option 'splash' is removed from the boot command line it boots
successfully.

  It also boots successfully with -vga std but in this case the splash
  screen is in text mode not graphical unlike with the qxl driver.

  - It started with kernel 4.12.
  - It is still happening with kernel 4.13.
  - It only happens when booting from an ISO and not on an installed system.
  - It works with cirrus/vga, but not qxl
  - It works if nosplash is set (or splash removed from the boot command line)
  - It works on Xenial but not on Artful