Public bug reported:

I installed an new hp 8710 office jet on 10/5/2017 and downloaded third
party hp drivers from 123.hp.com.  Every thing worked just fine.  I
unfortunately upgraded 16.04 to stay current and my printer quit
printing with a status of stopped - missing cups filter.  I've
unplugged, rebooted, deleted printer, tried to re-download printer
drivers - nothing works.  The only printer settings status is printer is
not configured.

I think this is also related to: Sorry Ubuntu 16.04 has experienced
internal errors, that keeps appearing. HP filters have been deleted out
of /usr/lib/cups.... due to an 16.04 upgrade. Now third partly printer
drivers can't be downloaded and installed. Need help!

** Tags: xenial

  Stpped printer.  Ubuntu 16.04  upgrade 2