Public bug reported:

I've been trying this on several platforms -

16.04 physical host
16.04 VMware
17.04 vmware

The script pasted below creates a virtual disk, writes a partition
table, creates an fs and some thin pools, then verifies that writes
happened as expected.

On 16.04 physical host it seems to be working (though I do need to
manually dmremove the devices as seen in cleanup(), else a second run
fails).

On the VMware hosted vms, the mkfs.ext4 fails to find nbd0p1:  "The file
/dev/nbd0p1 does not exist and no size was specified."

(I've had other - corruption - issues which are what I was trying to
track down with this test script, but it's possible, not certain, that
those all boil down to having to manually dmremove the devices)

  nbd ( + lvm thin pool?) fragile