I can confirm that the proposed ubuntu-fan package resolves the issue.

If you are deploying with Juju and MaaS the Ubuntu proposed repository
can be installed automatically on the nodes deployed by MaaS. This could
be used as a temporary workaround for the issue.

Example for how it could be set up in MaaS:
https://gist.githubusercontent.com/fnordahl/f6e6b734484363e980a6e7fa2cfe51de/raw/b64d83225e0d11c1bd236e4f4625b0c466ad755f/maas-ubuntu-proposed.png

Packages, which is subscribed to ubuntu-fan in Ubuntu.

  /usr/sbin/fanctl: arithmetic expression: expecting primary |
  unconfigured interfaces cause ifup failures

Status in juju:
  Triaged
Status in ubuntu-fan package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in ubuntu-fan source package in Xenial:

  I'm seeing this error as the status of multiple containers in my
  deploy:

  http://paste.ubuntu.com/26166720/

  I can't connect to the parent machines anymore either - it seems
  networking is totally hosed on the machines.

  This is with juju 2.3.1.