I've managed to isolate this to the fwts "uefirtmisc" test:

$ sudo fwts uefirtmisc
Running 1 tests, results appended to results.log
Test: UEFI miscellaneous runtime service interface tests.
  Test for UEFI miscellaneous runtime service interfaces. 1 passed, 5 skipped
Timeout, server 10.1.11.176 not responding.e service interfaces.     :  33.3% |

(That last line is partially overwritten by the SSH termination
message.) At 33.3% through that test, the system spontaneously reboots.
None of the other fwts tests causes any problem.

Oddly, the problem disappeared briefly during my testing. This occurred
just after I removed the 4.4.0-109 kernel, and a run of fwts produced a
message about it being unable to run some tests because it couldn't
parse EFI data, but that a reboot should fix the problem. (Sorry, I
didn't save the exact wording of the message.) I suspect this was
related to EFI variable storage and garbage collection. When I rebooted,
the problem reappeared.

Some further notes:

* The system is rather old (we got it in 2009).
* The system is running the latest firmware, version 6.4.0, released in 2013.
* The UEFI version is rather old (2.1.0).
* It's booted in UEFI mode (of course).

I'm going to try re-creating this problem with a Dell T110 of similar
vintage. For the moment, I'll leave lucuma, the system with the problem,
in its current Ubuntu 14.04 configuration. I can run further tests as
directed. As this looks like a kernel bug, or possibly a bug in fwts,
I'll mark this as "invalid" for plainbox-provider-checkbox.

** Changed in: plainbox-provider-checkbox

** Summary changed:

- miscellanea/fwts_test causes reboot
+ "fwts uefirtmisc" causes reboot in recent kernels

  "fwts uefirtmisc" causes reboot in recent kernels

Status in Provider for Plainbox - Checkbox:

  In doing Meltdown regression testing, we found that one server,
  lucuma, a Dell PowerEdge T710, would spontaneously reboot when running
  the miscellanea/fwts_test under Ubuntu 14.04.5 with a
  3.13.0-139-generic #188-Ubuntu kernel. This test has been dropped from
  our test list for 16.04, so it was not initially tested under more
  recent kernels. This server has been out of our testing queue for
  years, so it hasn't been tested since Ubuntu 10.04. Thus, we don't yet
  know if the problem is a regression or if it's existed for a long
  time. We need to do more testing to better isolate the issue; stay
  tuned for more information....

  The system's entry on C3 is:

  https://certification.canonical.com/hardware/200910-4539/

  The submission showing the error is: